Since we are all MG writers, I thought it might be fun to have a few writing prompts geared to developing a middle grade character. Here goes:
- Your character is 10 years old.
- Describe his/her reaction to the following: a new puppy, losing a best friend, being an only child, being the youngest/oldest of twelve children.
- Your character is given $10.00 and told to buy a gift for someone important in her life. What does she buy and for whom?
- Your character sees a kid in the schoolyard at recess doing something that makes him stop and stare. What is the kid doing?
- Your character discovers something surprising under her bed. What?
- Your character must choose ten - and only ten - of his favorite things to pack in a suitcase. What does he choose and why?