1. When you want to get to know your character better, write 100 affirmatives in the character's voice:
I am 11 years old.
I love horses.
I don't like riding the bus to school.
I am good at climbing trees.
I have a secret.
I am not good at keeping secrets.
2. When you're stumped, try writing a scene from the antagonist's perspective.
3. When you're ms is sagging, introduce a new character. (You don't have to keep said character, but it can really help open your mind/keep you going.)
4. Scan the ms for the word “feel” or “feels.” Convert those sentences to body language to SHOW the feeling instead of telling it.
5. Use a thesaurus to amp up your verbs!
...and now for the TREAT:
Just puts things in perspective, doesn't it?! Happy day!