What Should I Read? by Olugbemisola Rhuday-Perkovich

I cannot even explain how excited I am about summer reading! I've gotten over (most of) the lingering guilt that I feel about reading when I "should" be working. Reading is a big part of my work, and also, I'm free to have fun, and by have fun, I mean READ BOOKS.


Last winter, in preparation for a new class that I was teaching, I got some wonderful recommendations, including genres and authors that I don't normally read. So: bring on the summer reading recs, PB-Adult. Fiction, biography, essay collections, craft books, crafty maker books...I'll take 'em all!


You can see some of my recent and upcoming reads on Pinterest. I'll also be working on an MG manuscript, so I'm looking for good "family stories" along the lines of Elizabeth Enright's Melendys. I am also desperate to write a chapter book -- I'm a huge fan of our own Claudia Mills, along with Atinuke, Kate Messner, Karen English, Anna Branford, and Jane Schoenberg, so anything along those lines would be great.




Looking forward to spending the summer outdoors, unabashedly buried in great books. Whatcha got for me?

Comments

  1. I haven't read the Melendys (now they're on my list!), but you might like the Casson Family series by Hilary McKay. I think Saffy's Angel was the first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes -- that was recommended to me once, and I forgot to follow up. Thanks, Laurie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that buried-in-books feeling!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment