THE JUNCTION OF SUNSHINE AND LUCKY SNEAK PEEK (HOLLY SCHINLDER)

I've been talking up my debut MG for so long, it's hard to actually believe that the publication is at hand!  But nothing makes a release date feel quite as real as a box of books at your door:




THE JUNCTION OF SUNSHINE AND LUCKY, my first real step into the MG world, is out Feb. 6th.

The book follows Auggie's journey toward becoming a folk artist; she may very well be my favorite of all my main characters, and it's a joy to hear about others falling in love with her.  THE BULLETIN FOR THE CENTER OF CHILDREN'S BOOK STUDIES recently said:

"Auggie finds inspiration in the trash hauled by Grampa Gus and in items donated by neighbors, and soon pottery shards, vivid glass, and metal sculptures transform the house’s exterior into a vibrant expression of the love within its walls. In Auggie, Schindler creates a spunky, sympathetic character young readers will engage with and enjoy."

In the spirit of revealing our "beginnings," I'm delighted to share the opening paragraphs of THE JUNCTION:

"Old Glory shimmies like she's dancing the jitterbug.  That's what Grampa Gus calls his pickup truck, anyway, the one he's always driven, with GUS'S SALVAGE printed right across the doors.  She (that's the other thing we've always called the truck, she, because Old Glory's a regular part of the family) jiggles so much, she tickles my stomach.

The cab's completely packed--my best friend Lexie's here with me, along with my neighbor Irma Jean.  We're in a giant tangle on the passengers' side of the bench seat, our arms and legs weaving in and out of each other as we try to leave Gus enough space to drive.

Our voices sound like a whole playground as we squeal and squirm.  Excitement leaks out that way--in shrieks, like air slipping out of a balloon--the day before you get sent to a brand-new school."

Pre-order the book here.  Email me at writehollyschindler (at) yahoo (dot) com to tell me about your order, and you'll be entered to win a signed bookplate. 

Comments

  1. You know how much I love this book, Holly. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Feb. 6 is VERY CLOSE! Big folk art tradition here in Alabama, so I bet this book will be well received here. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the book! I'll be looking for it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to get my copy!! Just a few short days!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! Your book looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment