Friday, April 29, 2011

It's All About the Magic: Why I Write Middle-Grade Fiction




I have read all the wonderful posts by fellow Smack Dab in the Middle authors about why they write middle-grade fiction and wondered what I might add that hadn't already been said so well. So here I offer the simplest of reasons as to why I write for this age group.


When I was in the third grade I found myself searching the shelves of my school library--it was hard to find a book I hadn't already read. This is where I discovered new places, adventures, stories, and new worlds that allowed me to dream, to hope, to imagine. This place of discovery and imagination is why I write middle-grade fiction. It reflects such a wondrous time of possibilities, a time when we still believe in magic.


And that, to me, is what story is all about!

4 comments:

  1. Yes! MAGIC. That's it exactly. Good to see you here, Jen! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Irene! Glad to be here :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How true! And all too often it feels like we lose that sense of magic as we leave childhood behind. Which is why writing for kids is such a blessing…it allows us to hold onto that time when dreaming, hoping, and imagining was never farther away than the next book. Thanks for the post, Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can relate! I remember feeling that way in fourth grade. The poor school librarian, I think she cringed every time she saw me coming to ask for a new book--there were none to be had!

    Thanks for sharing, Jen!

    ReplyDelete